[06.) PAPERCRAFT: RESEARCH]

 The second part of the assignment this week is a few paragraphs of research done on one of the listed articles given by the teacher. I decide to choose the origami article on artist Hoang Tien Quyet. 

Some pictures of their work:



To me this is a very delicate and elegant style of work that takes a good amount of patience. This is apparent when viewing the objects and their smooth curves and folded edges. The technique used to create the origami is truly magnificent but also very challenging. I believe that if I were to attempt “wet fold origami” I would end up creating a mess every time. In the article “wet fold origami” is described as dampening a sheet of paper to create more realistic curves. Further stating that artists such as, Hoang Tien Quyet, use thicker paper because traditional origami paper would just tear. 

Quyet’s origami is definitely pleasing and fascinating to look at, not just becuase it is elegant but it stands out compared to the straight and angular characteristics of other origami. 


This is a traditional origami swan. It consists of sharply folded edges and points creating an interesting structure. However the realism and soft lively nature of this bird becomes lost in the sharpness. Ouyet’s swan brings it back to life with their soft corners made through the “wet fold” technique, creating an elegant and sophisticated structure that truly does the swan justice. 

Personally, I am truly fascinated with Hoang Tien Quyet’s work. The overall simplistic nature but complex technique pushes to want to learn more. Quyet’s work stood out to me due to its calm aura. I found that most of the articles had a lot of sharpness and bright colours, a concept I enjoy but constantly see when it comes to paper structures. It amazed me how smooth and clean each animal looked and how elegant they looked. I really hope to maybe try out this technique someday and expand my creative horizons.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog